What is psychotherapy? /
Psychotherapy or talk therapy is a way to help Clients in the face of emotional difficulties and personal concerns including, but are not limited to: difficulties to cope with daily life; trauma; the death of a loved one; and specific mental disorders, such as depression or anxiety disorders. Psychotherapy is a process to help Clients of all ages better understand one’s self, and how their thoughts and feelings influence the way they behave, react, and relate to others, leading an enjoyable and satisfying life.
The first psychotherapy session usually starts with an intake assessment of problematic symptoms and maladaptive behaviors that have affected the Client’s functioning in various aspects of life. Psychotherapy is a joint effort between Client and Therapist; the progress may vary based on the particular concerns or issues being addressed as well as the Client’s willingness to participate in the therapeutic process.
Who is suitable for psychotherapy? /
- When you are feeling depressed, anxious and overwhelmed by a prolonged sense of helplessness and hopelessness.
- When your issues have negatively impacted your relationships, academic performance, and occupation.
- When your issues have caused significant distress in your daily life functioning.
- When you are having major life changes, such as grief and loss, being fired from work, and any trauma-related events which caused you to have difficulties in coping.
- When you and your partners are experiencing distress in your relationship.
- When you would like to understand more about yourself and improve the quality of your life.
How can I make an appointment? /
You may feel nervous in contacting us and the anxiety is a perfectly normal feeling. We understand how difficult it can be to make initial contact, especially through phone calls. If a phone call is something new for you, you may leave a message and fill up the registration form attached in the welcome message. The information gathered is sufficient to tell us your needs and whether we are able to help. After reviewing the information, our staff will get back to you either through Whatsapp or phone calls (whichever you prefer) to schedule the first appointment. Kindly inform our staff if there are other timeslots that might fit your schedule better.
What to expect in my first session? /
The first session is usually an assessment of your presenting issues. We may inform you to come in a little early to fill out some paperwork if you haven’t already done so. You won’t have to worry about what to do in the session, as the psychologists are trained to guide each session in effective ways to help you achieve your goals. A typical intake session lasts 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes. In fact, the first session is an interview which consists of questions to understand your background history. At the end of your first session, the psychologist may suggest you with some immediate action, such as seeing a physician, to rule out any underlying medical conditions or getting a consultation from a psychiatrist to stabilize your mood before working through the issues.
Will i get better after psychotherapy? /
Therapy sessions carry both benefits and risks. These benefits may include, but are not limited to, reduced distress in feelings and thoughts, increased self-confidence, improved interpersonal relationships, increased comfort in work, academic, and/or daily activities.
In therapy sessions, Client may experience personal discomfort or unpleasant feelings (such as sadness, guilt, anxiety, anger, frustration, loneliness, or helplessness) when recalling or discussing uncomfortable experiences / situations with the Therapist. This is one of the considered risks of psychotherapy.
During the therapeutic process, many clients may feel worse before they feel better, which is generally the normal course for psychotherapy. Personal growth and change can be easy and smooth at times, but may also be slow and frustrating. The Client should address any concerns he/she has regarding his/her progress in therapy with the Therapist.
Will my information disclosed in psychotherapy be kept private and confidential? /
The information disclosed by Clients is secure and strictly confidential. However, under certain circumstances (as described below), all Therapists are mandated (by law) to break confidentiality, if/when:
- Client poses a danger to him / herself.
- Client makes a serious threat of violence towards a reasonably identifiable victim.
- Client provides written authorization to request the release of information.
- The Court orders a release of information (*Our centre does not provide psychological services for court cases or police cases. Kindly discuss with your Therapist if you have any queries regarding this matter).
- Client is below 18 years of age, parents/guardians have the rights to access therapeutic information (* However, we hope parents/guardians acknowledge the importance of confidentiality. The therapist will brief parents/ guardians of the summary of the session).
- A child / an elderly person is abused or neglected.
- 法庭下令(court order)要求公开资料（本治疗中心不提供有关警方案件/法律案件的心理治疗服务。如有任何有关疑问，个案可以向治疗师咨询。）
I am late for my session! What should I do? /
Psychotherapy requires the joint effort of both Client and Therapist. This therapeutic relationship between both parties is based upon trust and commitment, with both parties accepting responsibilities for keeping their appointments.
Please arrive on time for appointments. In the event that the Client arrives late for an appointment, only the remaining time of the session will be available (eg: Client arrives at 415pm for 4pm session, only 45 minutes will be available), but the full scheduled session will be billed. Please contact our centre at +6011-3344 5270 if you will be late for the session.
Something urgent came up! I have no choice but to cancel the appointment. /
Cancellation of sessions with less than a day’s notice will incur a cancellation charge of 50% of the session fee. In the event of an emergency situation (i.e. sudden illness, accident, etc.), Clients must immediately notify the Therapist of the cancellation at least 2-hours in advance of the session. Failure to do so will also incur a cancellation charge of 50% of the session rate. Emergencies will be reviewed on a case by case basis. In the event that the Therapist must cancel a session, every effort will be made to reschedule a make-up session for the Client.
Can I call the centre anytime? /
The Therapist is unable to provide 24-hour crisis service. If the Client is feeling unsafe or requires immediate medical or psychiatric assistance, he/she should call emergency hotlines (eg: 999/112), or go to the nearest emergency room of public hospitals.